Even though this doesn't really taste like pizza with bread crust, this is one of my family's favorites. The whole thing gets snarfed down in one meal. Hopefully your family will have some leftovers :).
I got the directions for cooking the meat crust from The Clothes Make The Girl. But I use my own seasoning and tomato sauce for the recipe. We also like ours with a bit of raw Parmesan. Yummy!
* 1 1/2 lbs ground meat (pork, beef, or turkey, any mix you like)
* 1 1/2 tsp oregano
* 1 1/2 tsp basil
* 3/4 tsp sea salt (Celtic, Himalayan)
*1/4 c raw Parmesan (can be omitted)
*1/4 sweet onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove of garlic, finely minced or pressed
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Press the meat evenly into a 13" by 9" pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until meat is cooked through. Remove from the oven and let rest a few minutes to let some of the juices reabsorb.
* 1 15oz can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes
* 1 tsp basil
* 1 tsp oregano
* 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced or pressed
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* A drizzle of honey -or- a few drops of stevia (optional, most Italian people I know put a little sugar in their sauce)
* 1 tbsp red wine (optional)
Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on low-medium heat while the meat is cooking. Stir occasionally. This recipe will make more sauce than is needed for the recipe, so enjoy the leftovers as a "dip" for other things.
Put the rectangle of meat on a cookie sheet. Spread about 1/2 of the sauce on the meat. You can also add a thin layer of shaved raw Parmesan and some sauteed veggies of your choice. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 to fifteen more minutes.
Buon appetito :)